Reflections on Guru Pournima: Leading with the Wisdom of the Guru, Learning with the Humility of the Shishya - The Guru-Shishya Within Us

By Dr. Anupama Vaidya (hc)

There are certain thoughts that stay with us long after we have written them.  Last year, on Guru Pournima, I reflected on The Transformative Power of the Guru-Shishya Relationship in Leadership, drawing upon the timeless wisdom that the Guru appears when the Shishya is ready. It was my tribute to the mentors whose presence has quietly, yet profoundly, shaped my life, and a reflection on what it truly means to be ready to receive from one’s Gurus – to become a worthy disciple. 




This Guru Pournima, as I bow with gratitude to my Gurus, I also feel deeply touched by the many wishes I receive as a mentor. It is heartening to know that my work continues to touch lives, offer insights and make a meaningful difference. 

Yet such recognition also carries with it a quiet responsibility – to remain worthy of being seen as a guide. 

This year, however, my reflections have taken me to a different place.  Even as I continue to revere those who have shaped my life, I find myself turning inward - reflecting on the coexistence of the Guru and the Shishya within me, both continually shaping my own journey of learning, growth and becoming.

For I have come to realise that the Guru and the Shishya are not sequential roles that we assume at different stages of life. They are simultaneous dimensions of our own evolution - two breaths of lifelong learning: one that receives wisdom, and one that shares it.

There are moments when we seek, question, listen and learn. In those moments, humility becomes our greatest teacher, and we are the Shishya. 
And there are moments when experience calls upon us to guide, encourage and illuminate the path for others. In those moments, wisdom finds expression through us, and we become the Guru. 

A meaningful life makes space for us to embrace both. 

It is a quiet reminder that our ability to guide others must always remain rooted in our willingness to keep learning - to remain a Shishya ourselves. The Guru within us may deepen through experience, but it is the Shishya within us that continually renews the  wisdom and keeps the Guru relevant within us.

For me that, then is the true essence of leadership - the finest leaders never allow either dimension to fade. They lead with the wisdom of the Guru and continue to learn with the humility of the Shishya.

Two people may receive the same guidance from the same Guru, yet leave transformed in very different ways. The difference seldom lies in the wisdom that is offered. It lies in the openness with which it is received.

Readiness, therefore, is not a moment in time. It is a lifelong inner posture, one that keeps the Shishya within us growing and the Guru within us continually evolving. The day the Shishya within us falls silent, the Guru within us ceases to evolve. 

Perhaps that is the deeper meaning of the timeless wisdom: "When the Shishya is ready, the Guru appears."

The journey, then, is perhaps not a linear one.
We begin by seeking.
We learn with humility.
We practise what we receive.
Experience gradually becomes wisdom.
Wisdom finds expression in guiding others.

And just when we begin to believe we have arrived, life quietly invites us to become a Shishya once again. That is the eternal rhythm of growth. 

The more deeply we learn, the more wisely we guide. The more generously we guide, the more life invites us to learn again. Perhaps that is why the finest Gurus remain the finest Shishyas. They understand that teaching and learning are not separate journeys, but two expressions of the same lifelong pursuit of wisdom.

For wisdom reaches its fullest expression only when teaching meets teachability.

Pause & Reflect: As we celebrate Guru Pournima and express our gratitude to those who have illuminated our path, perhaps it is also a moment to turn inward and ask ourselves, no matter what age, stage or role we play:
  • How alive is the Shishya within me?
  • Am I still as open to learning as I expect others to be
  • What wisdom have I truly lived before I attempt to share it?
  • And if someone were to become my Shishya today, would my greatest lesson come from what I teach or from the way I continue to learn?
Perhaps the journey was never meant to end with becoming a leader. Its deepest fulfilment lies in remaining a Shishya.

Leadership is not the destination of learning. It is simply another stage in the lifelong journey of learning.

May you always have the humility to remain a Shishya and the wisdom to become a Guru. Have a blessed Guru Pournima!

In Gratitude,
Dr. Anupama Vaidya (hc)

Part of an ongoing series of reflections on leadership, learning and human potential!

Comments

  1. Beautiful...and a deep meaning..all is within and no without

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful thought, Anupama. I believe if we keep our minds open, every person and every experience has something to teach us. In that sense, life itself becomes our Guru. Happy Guru Pournima. 🙏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

25 Years of Motherhood, 25 Lessons of Becoming: Part 1

Leadership Alchemy No.25T: Timeless Lessons from Teachers

Resonance with Divinity: Seeking Liberation through Buddha's Timeless Wisdom